Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Long Awaited Tax Credit


We never thought it would come...our $8k tax credit. We bought the house in September and by October had already had our accountant do a 2008 appeal so we could get our money. We sent it into the IRS who received it in October. We knew it would take a while. January I called because we had not received it yet. The IRS said, oh it has been received and processed and your check should be coming. If I didn't hear from them or receive it by February 14th to call them. I called them and they told me we have no record of us calling in January and that no one would have told us that our check was on the way because our account had been frozen and closed in December due to fraud. They supposedly sent us something in the mail. I verified our address and they told me that there was nothing they could do becuase we had committed fraud by buying more than one house. They told me it goes through a different department and there was no way to contact the department and I was out of luck. They suggested I call back in a month.
So I had Omar call back a month later as I had become very frustrated. They told him to call back in a month. I did research on the computer and found that other people had requested a tax advocate. So we requested one, it only took a few more months with the tax advocate and getting them additional proof that we bought the house and that it was our only house that we have bought to receive the credit. At least we made over $400 in interest by waiting 10 months to receive our tax credit!

Unfortunantly our tax credit is gone, we did buy a few things that we wanted like bookshelves, and a chair for the office. Other than that we have been paying bills and debts off so we can be debt free.

1 comment:

Brianna Hill said...

So I am just now reading your blog - WOW! You are amazing! I wish I could keep mine so well updated! I don't think I've even seen mine in over 3 months! LOL. Yours is fantastic! Keep it up!