Sunday, October 21, 2012

Uncle John Madison

John Iden Madison
February 12, 1950 - October 21, 2012
I found out today that my Uncle John Madison passed away last night in his sleep. My Aunt Corrine was in Minnesota visiting my cousin Christine and her family. I guess she wasn't able to get a hold of him today and so had a neighbor go check on him. He has had heart trouble in the past. He was so young - the same age of my grandpa (mom's side) when he died.

This picture was taken at my wedding 4 years ago. He may never know what it meant to me for him to come - dancing with him when I couldn't dance with my dad on my special day. He treated everyone as though they were so special.

His whole life seemed to be about serving others. Every time we were together during a family event - all he did was serve others. Nothing was for his own pleasure and comfort.

One of my memories - was at a family reunion when I was probably about 8 years old. We were going to go white water rafting and I had a bowl of Captain Crunch. I ended up getting sick and throwing up. Uncle John offered to stay back with me so my parents and the rest of my family could enjoy the rafting. He made it seem like it was his plan all along to stay back and to run errands and that he needed ME in order for him to be able to do it the best. He became one of my favorite uncles in that moment. I  always liked being near him the most at our reunions because I always felt so special and that I was his favorite niece.

People so kind-hearted and thoughtful are not plentiful these days. I know he has to be one of the ones to greet me on the other side. Our family get-togethers and reunions will never be the same. I will miss you Uncle John and am so sad that you will never get to hold one of my children in this life.

No comments: