Monday, November 5, 2012

Goodbye Maria Gonzalez

Maria Gonzalez

I went to work this morning and learned the my friend and previous co-worker Maria Gonzalez passed away last night. I think I am still in shock. This is the 2nd person I have known who has died in the past few weeks. This is the 2nd co-worker of mine to pass from cancer in the past 2 years.

You have to wonder how someone so loving, kind, and beautiful, not to mention SO young could die?

Maria has been fighting for so long now. Breast cancer and then leukemia. I remember when she learned about it all and went on short-term and then long-term disability. I followed her journey through journal entries as to how everything was going. She pretty much lived at the hospital the past year going through treatments....she was a fighter. She fought so hard you had to think she would be a survivor. That wasn't part of the plan.

I prayed and fasted for a miracle. That was what I was doing yesterday at church again - only to learn not even 24 hours later that it was her time. I am so glad it was quick. So happy she didn't suffer more. We were notified last week that there was really not anything more that could be done and Hospice would step in - little did anyone know that it wouldn't even be a week before she was gone.

Maria was the kind of person that anyone would be so thankful to have as a friend. There wasn't a mean bone in her body. All she did was smile - such an amazing smile. She was my Puerto Rican friend and knew how I felt with certain Spanish situations at work. She was all about having a good time and wanted people to get along - work hasn't been the same since she has been gone.

Due to her nature there isn't anything that that would need to be resolved or really said before her passing. I never got the chance to visit her - I never wanted to impose on her time with family. That's my only regret....and also that I never was able to tell her how I feel about our Savior Jesus Christ. My regrets are only selfish now because she is in a better place.

I love this picture of her. It wasn't but a month ago that she went to her first restaurant in a year. She looks incredible - this is the Maria I will always remember. She had so many dreams, so many hopes. I guess you never know when God has other things planned for you. I know she is at peace.

No comments: