Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ana's Quinceneria

Hermana Rivet and Maru waiting for the quinceneria










The Quinceneria Ana enters with her chambelano (I think that is what they are called)




the decorations
I helped set-up the cake - Omar thought I was going to drop it. It was tres leches (3 milk) with a pineapple layer - yummy!
2 of my ovejas (lambs - that is what they call the young women at church sometimes) Natalie and Ali
Omar with 2 of the hermanos (brothers) waiting to party!

So Omar and I went to our first Quinceneria together. I had never been to one before. Basically in Spanish culture they celebrate a sweet 15, not a sweet 16. People of all classes celebrate this - the rich and the poor. I find that in American society there really aren't sweet 16's anymore. It is just a regular birthday party that you call sweet 16. Quinceneria's are typical full blown out bashes. They are like weddings - a party line, people dress nice - the quinceneria is always in a wedding type dress, there is a huge cake, food, decorations, band, etc. This one was a little more low key, but was fun. I have a attached some pictures. My camera battery died when the Quinceneria finally came out, we need to buy an extra battery to have on hand. That seems to happen a lot.

No comments: