Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Honor Code

A co-worker today asked me what I think about the honor code. Being a BYU grad, I knew exactly what they were talking about, but was surprised that they would know what it was. I explained how great I think it is.

They explained to me that Brandon Davies, one of the star players on BYU's basketball team who has been doing amazing this season and was helping to lead BYU to the Final Four for the school's first time in history, broke the honor code and has been suspended from play. He had pre-marital sex. They wanted to know what my thoughts were about this call with the honor code.

I explained that if he broke the honor code that he should be suspended from play and even from the school. So many people want to go to school there and they will LIVE the honor code, so why should someone just because they are a star athlete not be treated like any other student at BYU.

My co-workers were surprised to hear that the honor code not only includes pre-marital sex, but alcohol, coffee, tea, tobacco, etc. I expressed that if students want to do those things they can go to any other school in the country and do them.

Every student that goes to BYU signs the honor code and it is a big deal. It SHOULD be a big deal. What has happened to the honor and integrity of people these days? I am so PROUD to be connected to not only an elite one-of-a-kind school, but one that stays true to the core of its beliefs and does not "sell out" despite worldly pressures.

No comments: