Thursday, September 13, 2007

Welcome Home - Warrior's Don't Cry

So I finished 2 books - one my old boss from BYU sent to me - "Welcome Home: Advice for the Returned Missionary" - it had some good reminders and showed me a little of what I can try to be better to keep up with the spirit and the things that I learned in the mission. The other book Warrior's Don't Cry I thought I would read since about a week ago was the 50th anniversary of integration in Little Rock High. This book taught me more about the need to act, rather than to be acted upon. One quote that I really liked was where the grandma says: "Embarrassment is not a life-threatening problem. It can be washed away with a prayer and a smile...Dignity is a state of mind, just like freedom. These are both precious gifts from God that no one can take away unless you allow them to." Truly, we may not be able to choose what happens to us, but we can definitely choose how we will react to it. The Little Rock 9 to me, were great examples of courage, bravery, and choosing to act. I'm grateful for their part of giving this country a little more freedom.
I love this picture of Elizabeth Eckford - I just can't imagine!!!

No comments: