Monday, May 25, 2009

Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco


Omar and I was able to go and see Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco for FREE. It was through work as I was there to build relationships with different matches. It actually worked out perfectly. Omar is a lover of Cirque du Soleil and one of his goals is to go to all the different Cirque shows that exist. We went and saw the La Nouba in Orlando together while we were dating. He had seen it 9 times, 8 other times with ex-girlfriends. He told me that was usually the last date he would go on with them before he broke up with them. It was the other way around for us, I tried to break up with him the day before the show, and look at us now...MARRIED!

The day before I found out about the free tickets, Omar asked me to go and buy us some. The cheapest tickets are $100. I was not excited about paying, but we ended up getting the free. Sweet. Online I learned that, "Saltimbanco is the oldest of the Cirque du Soleil shows and was the inspiration for all future performances. The name comes from the Italian “saltare in banco” which means to “jump on a bench”—experience urban life and all its lively inhabitants. The story takes you through a dreamlike world in a city where diversity is the link to hope. Like all Cirque de Soleil shows, it tests the ability of the human body and will leave you amazed."

I must say that both of us were not nearly as impressed with Saltimbanco as we were with La Nouba. It was just really different and it was hard to understand the story line, if there was one. There was not nearly as many acrobatics either. This one was a traveling Cirque and so perhaps there was not enough room to have a large stage to do more acrobatics. We decided we would have been very disappointed had we paid for the tickets.

1 comment:

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

Uh oh! I also am a Cirque lover, and ALSO want to see all the shows they have. Saltimbanco is coming to SLC around my bday, so we thought it was perfect. We have tickets, but they weren't as expensive as that-so hopefully we won't be disappointed, too! (I think the problem is that I hear La Nouba was one of the best.)