Saturday, January 23, 2010

Haiti - unbelievable


I am sure most people have been following the Haiti earthquake that occur ed on January 12th. This has been a very busy 2 weeks for me with work, so I have not followed it as much as I would like. One of my Big Brothers has a non-profit that he started about 2 months ago called WeRLove to help the Haitian people and orphanages. I wish I could have done more, but we brought over food, and toiletries for him to send to Haiti. They will need so much help really. His family in Haiti was right in the epicenter. They were very lucky, no one was killed or even badly injured or hurt.

I was reading in the paper last Sunday about the quake and it mentioned how some of the Haitians ask how God could do this to them. Really, it is a tragedy that it has happened, but I know that it is not God punishing people. It is just the random acts of a wicked world. Of course all the people who were lost in the disaster cannot be brought back, but perhaps this might help the country of Haiti in the long run to rebuild better.

It is amazing to see the spirit of survival people the Haitian people have. You hear of so many buried for over a week and still survive. One girl heard people dying all around her and when she was asked if she was afraid she told reporters that she wasn't because she knew she would survive. I think that is how it is with so many other aspects of our life, FAITH & HOPE really are the basis of everything we do. If we believe we can achieve, if we dream we can do, if we try we can become. Anyway...I just love this picture of the boy being pulled out of the rubble. Despite all he has probably lost, isn't it amazing how a positive attitude and smile can make us triumphant and radiate to others?

No comments: