Saturday, January 23, 2010

Manatees & Martin Luther King

My mom & I
Manatee family
Manatee nose - so CUTE!

So this past Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. day and I had the day off. I had thought about spending the weekend in Orlando, but really did not feel like driving all the way to Orlando. My mom and I decided to get together about 1/2 way at Blue Springs State Park to see the Manatees. This is the best time of year to see them beucase it has been so cold and manatees will die if they are in water under 70 degrees for an extended period of time. It was about 1.5 hours from where I lived. I had to leave early beucase the park opens at 8 AM but if you get there after 10 AM you might not be able to enter the park due to crowds. The earlier you arrive the more manatees you will see. There were over 150 manatees at the Springs when we went. We parked my mom's car at a nieghborhood park and drove in together and so saved $2 ($6 to enter the park). Manatees, turtles, and stingrays are probably my most favorite animals, so beautiful, gentle, and graceful. At the park you are not able to swim with the manatees during winter months since they are protected. I have swam with manatees before - 2 seperate times I went on manatee swims when I was in middle school with my mom's 8th grade class trips. That wasn't at Blue Springs State Park, but at Crystal River. I love them!!!



look how many of them are right there!
These "seacows" (herbivores) are eating part of the tree!
The original house of the people that lived at the river back in the day - can you imagine this being your home? So beautiful.

There were over 150 manatees the day that we visited

No comments: