Sunday, December 12, 2010

Training for a 5K

I think I am down to 41 days until my first 5k ever! I decided I needed some sort of health goal as just limiting my food intake was not enough, and the goal of making it to the gym never quite works out with my work schedule. So I told my dad that I want to run a 5k with him. We picked one out, the Matanzas 5k on Saturday January 22nd. I started training the week of Thanksgiving. I must say I am so proud of myself. My first week I ran a WHOLE mile straight! I don't think I had ever done that in my life. Week 2 it was a mile and a half STRAIGHT! I am on a roll.

I have been getting up at 7 AM every morning to run outside. From my house down to the waffle house and back is 2 miles. The cold weather came this past week. When I say cold, I mean it was brutal. There were people from up north visiting that didn't even know what to do because it was just that cold! I went running outside and couldn't make it a full mile before I literally felt my muscles and bones freezing! When I drove to work I noticed that the temperature gauge said it was below 35 degrees outside, plus there was humidity! I must have been running in 20 degree temperatures! I am insane.

I am getting back on track tomorrow, so I really can reach my goal. Some friends of mine run a race every month. I want to make this my new hobby. Wish me luck!

No comments: