Sunday, May 22, 2011

Decorating the Great Room

While Megan, Eddie, and my nephews were visiting I asked Megan for her help with finding me some curtains to get rid of the nasty white blinds that came with the house. Megan is really good at decorating and I am pretty "challenged" in that department. She helped me understand some fundamentals when it comes to decorating and to realize what my "style" is. I am a cultural decorator. I like things that have a story and that I am somehow attached to. One of those things is the Turkish rug Omar and I got while on our cruise together. The problem with the rug is that it is so hard to match with anything.


We were gone most of the day together which was a lot of fun to get to know here a little better. We came home to set everything up and realized that the curtains were too short and that there was no longer curtain. The rug was making it nearly impossible to find anything that would work for the room. Megan suggested moving the rug into my office and it actually worked. Afterall the inspiration for that room did come from the color of the rug.



So we later went back out to some stores another day and Megan showed me all the stuff she didn't mention before becuase it did not go with the rug. West Elm had most all of the stuff that we found for our room and now look at it. There is still some stuff yet to do, but it is not nearly as drab as it was before.

No comments: