Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Weekend: Crescent Beach

I was amazed that I had a full weekend off AND the holiday, it is awesome how that worked out for me. My parents, and sisters came up to spend the holiday with us. We decided that Saturday would be a less crowded day at the beach then Memorial Day so we went to the beach.
Kelly and Mom relaxing under our tent

Dad chilling on a towel - the old school beach way

You can't hide corn from my mom - she will find it

My friend, Brianna has been telling me for some time how her favorite FL beach is Crescent Beach. It is about a 30 minute drive South from our house, the beach just below St. Augustine Beach. So we decided to go there. My friend Tiffany just moved to St. Mary's, Georgia from Alaska and she came and joined us. Brianna also invited her friend Christine and their family to come too.
Lil' Bryce!

Omar buried Christine's son in the sand, he loved it

Lindsey soakin' up the rays


We had a great time. It was perfect weather, sunny all day, but there was a nice breeze. Brandon brought his Emergency Essential Volcano grill and Omar cooked out hot dogs and corn. Christine brought the corn sort of pre-cooked. I never heard of doing this before, but it drastically cut down the corn cooking time. She microwaved the corn on top of wet paper towels for 4 minutes and then wrapped them in a beach towel for 5 minutes. Then you only have to cook them for like 5-10 minutes on the grill. It was delicious!!!
The Grill Master Omar

We had kites that the guys enjoyed flying, as well as brought soccer throw (the game you see people play at tail-gate parties often). It was a pretty beach, not the most beautiful I have seen in FL, but still really nice. We ended up parking the next entrance AFTER Ft. Matanzas. It was not crowded which was so nice. If you go to the entrance at Ft. Matanzas you can drive your car on the beach a little bit and park. With all the stuff we had that would have been much more convenient, but more crowded. We had to walk about 1/2 mile with all of our stuff through this preserve. It was cool though because we were able to see gopher turtles digging holes. I never realized that gopher turtles dig holes that over 345 other animal species enjoy with it. I love turtles!
Tiff practicing her soccer throw skills

Brandon in front of Crecent Beach

I was so proud of Omar. He has never spent so long at a beach. I think over all we were there for almost 6 hours. He really doesn't like the beach and he didn't complain too much. Next week will go to another beach when Nikki comes. I wonder which one.

No comments: