Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fire!!!

I woke up this morning and was sneezing like crazy. I have training for the next 3 days for the Sandler Sales System and so will be going to the main office. As I was walking up to the main office I began sneezing again, which for anyone who has heard they are not small cutesy sneezes. They are the heart pounding, body shaking, loud sneezes. "Bless You" this guy called out to me and then began talking about the fires. The fires that I guess I am just oblivious have been occurring all around St. Johns County. They think that they are all caused by the same arsonist. That was the first time I had heard about it.

Lucky for me I had training today which allowed me to come home at 4pm. If I had left even 30 minutes later, I would not have been able to get home due to road closures. As I pulled into the road leading up to my neighborhood all I saw was black smoke and FLAMES! There was the news station lining the street and neighbors outside. I began to wonder if we would be evacuated. My first thought - "Oh no, I have been thinking seriously about a need for a 72 hour kit, but haven't done anything yet!!!" Not cool, especially since I am not a big procrastinator. I see the home sales lady, Sydney outside the model home and ask her if I should be worried. I was told that it was under control and not to worry.

I took this picture with my cell phone from my backyard. I took one as I was driving by the flames, but am not sure what happened to it.
Our friends Bri and Brandon might be evacuated (I guess it isn't under control like I was told), they live on the other side of 95 in the Gables. Scary stuff. I begin to Google "Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Fires?" Still not quite sure. I think I am going to work on my 72 hour kit now.

1 comment:

Brianna Hill said...

Arson? Really? The article I read about that particular fire said it was from a lightning strike that hit Friday and had smoldered over the weekend. Then was picked up by winds and turned into an out and out brush fire. But I hadn't heard anything about arson. Is that what has caused some other fires near us? How scary! Thank goodness none of us had to be evac'd. If you drive to the back right corner of our community, you can see burned trees and bushes - just fried to a crisp. And it's smokey again today. SIGH... good motivator to get prepared though huh? :) Bee and I have a 72 hr emergency kit in our car at all times. But now we have everything else (important documents, etc...) ready to go! :)