Sunday, September 4, 2011

10 Year High School Reunion

THE DRAMA
My high school reunion was over Labor Day Weekend. There was quite a bit of drama regarding the planning of the event. Nowadays there aren't lists with contact information to reach out to all the class members, if there was most likely it would be so out of date it wouldn't matter. Everything was done by Facebook. If there was someone we knew who graduated with us that hadn't been invited we were to invite them. There were some people from our high school class that totally disagreed with how this was being handled and that everyone should receive invitations in the mail and it should be a formal event like a prom. A big debate ensued and it got pretty nasty on our Facebook page for the reunion. I didn't join in at all...and just thought how some people maybe haven't changed since high school.

FRIDAY NIGHT
I picked Omar up from the airport where he was getting back from a week long trip out there. He went smack dab into Hurricane Irene and was one of the last flights to get into New York. Omar was not excited about going to the reunion at all with me, but it was one of the deals that he had to go if he was to go to NY. We went to BJ's for the pizza buffet. When we got there, Jeremy Buxton was the only other one there. He was our Class President, I think all 4 years, and basically planned most of the reunion from being stationed all the way over in Hawaii, poor guy. It was about an hour before really anyone else came. We were expecting about 50-60 people and about 20 showed.

The OHS v. Ocoee football game was next. Omar never went to a game in high school which I think is plain crazy since he was ROTC and his brother also played. Omar was tired and so I took him to my parents house and I went to the game alone. I am glad I went alone because he would have been bored to death. I was able to visit with Mr. Carswell and Mrs. Ferguson. The school is completely different! It isn't quite finished yet, but I can just say "WOW" it is not the school that I went to. This actually looks like a school now - not a pit.

New School not open yet

vs. old school

Me and Mr. Carswell - it might be the last time I see him, he retires this year and will be moving out of state. He even remembered my name!

Marc Horne (and g-friend), Christine Bradford, Sara and Matt Sparks

After the game everyone went to 3 Sisters Easy, which is a popular bar in downtown Kissimmee. It didn't exist when we were in high school, but really nothing did in Downtown Kissimmee at that time. I wasn't going to go originally, but realized there would be a lot of people wouldn't go to anything else but the bar. It was a much bigger crowd there. I ended up spending most of my time outside with Christine Bradford, Christina Watson (new last name now though), Alaina Mayes (new last name now), Marc Horne, Jared Stewart, Sarah Summers and Matt (who are married now). I was one of the first people to leave about midnight - everyone else left when it closed at 2 AM. I couldn't stay awake any longer.

BBQ
The next day was the bbq at Elks Lodge. There was a ton of food. The turnout was pretty decent, but it was mainly all the same people.I did get to talk with Christy Gay, Nicole Collabella, Mark Ferguson, and some others. There were people that I wish had come to the reunion that didn't, I'm not sure why, especially since they live locally. Too bad.





Jeremy Buxton and I

OUTCOME
All in all, I am glad I went to the reunion. It was interesting how many people asked me about my brother. He did graduate the year before me and we had a lot of mutual friends, but we never spent time with them together - they were always separate friends. I think Michael kept in touch with more people from high school than I did, especially since he went to school in-state. Most people thought I was living somewhere out West still. We probably won't have one for another 10 years, and hopefully next time it might be with another class too since most of my close friends from high school graduated before and after me.

No comments: