Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend 2011

After my high school reunion activity on Saturday afternoon, I spent the rest of the weekend with my family. We went to Downtown Disney in the evening, which was super busy. I had not been to Downtown Disney since I worked there prior to getting married (so 3.5 years). I don't think when I even worked there that I ever walked around so it had been many years since I had done so. Virgin is gone and they are now building a bowling alley. They got rid of the super overpriced McDonald's and now they have a chicken place that is like Pollo Tropical but is more South American style. We ate there for dinner. I got the salad which was quite delicious. I had a bite of my husbands chicken which was good, the beans and the sweet plantains were average. I went into Basin which still was the same with the exception that they have make your own candles now too. I saw Maribel who I worked with there.




After Downtown Disney we went and got ice cream at this really cool ice cream shop that used to be this bike store in Downtown Kissimmee. They make their ice cream with liquid nitrogen. You choose the toppings they add the milk and voila you have your own ice cream creation. Pretty sweet! I got the honey cinnamon - it was AmAZinG!!!!






Sunday I went with my parents to church and it was good to see all the old families I love. I have to share that Sister Strickland came up to me and expressed that she had been thinking of me recently and wondered how I am. Her daughter, Naomi, who I babysit for MANY years, is now expecting her second child. That is so crazy, she even beat me to getting married. So funny. She then went on to tell me how I was the most amazing babysitter. I asked if I could record her because so many people think I am not good with children. She was shocked that anyone would think that because I was so good with kids. Just had to share that for all of those out there who tell me I am bad with kids.

I went to Brother Barrietiero's class on family and marital relationships. It was an interesting class. The bulk of it was review, but he brought up some really interesting things that I just never had thought about before. Anger is the result of lack of control. Lack of control stems from our unmet expectations.

That early evening we had chicken a la king for dinner with salad and fruit trifle. So yummy, my request. Naomi Gunnels came over and we enjoyed catching up. We then played Mad Gab and Pit.

About 8 pm we headed back to St. Augustine and Lindsey came with us for the Labor Day.

Labor Day we woke up and went to eat at Waffle House. Omar then went home to do yard work and Lindsey and I went to the beach. If you are feeling bad for Omar, don't...he doesn't really care for the beach. There is this beach that Brooke Pratt and my sister Kelly found that is supposed to be so nice and empty. I told my friend Brianna about it and she found it and told us how to get there. I am still not sure if this is the beach or not, but we went...of all names it is called South Beach. It is quite the opposite of the Popular South Beach in Miami.

It is about 10 minute drive from Michler's Beach which is the closest beach to our house. We had to pass North Beach and then Middle Beach - very unique names, right? The beach is on a preserve so there are no buildings. It costs $3 to park, you just put the money in a little blue envelope and put a thing on your visor in the car. I don't know how they really know if you paid, but it is only $3 and it helps to keep up the beach. We go there at 10 AM and there were only 2 other cars there.

The walk to the beach is much shorter than the parking lot from Crescent Beach. You do cross A1A and the beach is right there. I was shocked at how empty it was. Lindsey and I just looked at each other because we had never been to a beach with only one other person on it. The waves were actually pretty big too. I was surprised people were not surfing there. Maybe the waves didn't last to long before breaking was why they don't surf there. I would say they are some of the bigger waves I have ever seen in Florida. It was a nice beach.

That night we had Brandon, Brianna, and Bryce come over for a BBQ. We had chicken drumsticks, potatoes, corn on the cob and they brought a Caesar salad. For desert we had root beer floats. The Hills are movie watchers and so we watched 2 movies together - Rio, and then I Am Number 4.

No comments: