Sunday, April 1, 2012

Camping Trip


I got a Groupon to go camping for 2 nights. I happened to have a 3 day weekend about a month ago and figured that would be our best bet for a time to be able to redeem it since I didn't know what the next few months would bring at work. We tried to get some people to go with us, but no one could. It was at Otter Springs Park and Campground. It is about a 2 hour drive from our house in Western Florida. There are a bunch of other local springs too. The plan was to drive there, set up camp, spend the day at that Spring and then the next day go to one or 2 of the other springs. It was a pretty nice, hot day when we got there. 


The campground actually has some springs located at it, but it was not what we expected for Florida Springs. I think due to the lack of rain they had received it was more like a marsh than a spring. We also had some canoe rentals as part of the Groupon. We didn't realize that due to the lack of rain we would have to carry the canoe about 1/2 a mile through the marshy water to a place where we could get into the canoe - I don't think so!


Of course our first meal was hobo dinners - Omar's was potatos and stew meat. Mine was all vegetables! it was so good! I had some really great meals planned for us.

The campground actually had an enclosed heated pool and nice bathroom facilities. It would really be a pretty good place for a girls camp I think. When we got out of the pool and dressed the rain began and so we spent the rest of the night and the next morning in the tent working to stay dry. We woke up, made breakfast and then the rain started a little again. the problem was that it suddenly was SUPER cold! We decided that we should just head back because with how cold it had become we would just be sitting in the tent keeping warm. As we drove back we stopped by some Antique Shops. Omar loved it and found a few things that he wanted. I never knew that he was really into Antiquing.

Since our trip was terminated a little early, I realized it would be a perfect opportunity for me to finally go and visit my old Alaskan roommate Tiffiny who lives in St. Mary's Georgia. She only had a few weeks left before she was to give birth to her first child. I went there and we talked, walked around her neighborhood, watched a movie at her place and even went to downtown St. Mary's Welcome Center and learned all the other stuff we could do there. I am looking forward to another time to go up there.

No comments: