Monday, July 26, 2010

An Alaskan Visitor

So my old Alaskan roommate Tiff Hanks, now married, came to visit her husband's family 2 times this summer to buy her house. The first trip I drove up to St. Mary's, Georgia to visit her and went to eat at Ruby Tuesdays and spent the night talking. Her last trip was closing on her home and she came and spent a whole day with me. We went to St. Augustine's Fountain of Youth. I didn't remember that it was a whole theme park thing. It was pretty cool, especially since it was FREE for me being a resident of the county.

The water tastes like nasty well water....don't I look younger already?


We watched them do the cannon...of course there was no actual ball inside, but it was very loud.

The Timicuan were the Indians of the area. Unfortunantly there are none that are surviving today. This guy is an actual Indian and taught us about the Timicuans.

We walked around downtown and looked in a few shops. She wanted to find the oldest school house, but it cost like $10 to go inside so we just took a picture outside of it. I don't know if I ever really noticed it before. It is literally right in the middle of the main shopping area near the castillo.

We then went over to the Castillo de San Marco fort. I also had not been there since 5th grade. It was okay, it has a nice view of St. Augustine from the top, but it was brutally hot. I was super glad that we were in our swimsuits. There wasn't too much to see left anymore.

Here are what the living quarters would have been like. There would have been 4 soldiers sleeping on the top and 4 on the bottom bunks. The end of the bunks is the place for their guns.

I have always loved the coquina, which is what the whole fort is made of. It is basically ground up shells. Incredible.

No comments: