Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas in Savannah


My sister Kelly was going to close on a town home she was buying in and my mom decided to drive out with her to Utah and stay for the closing. Since my sister Lindsey is also living up in Logan to go to school there my dad decided to go out there as well for a few weeks. That meant that Omar and I would be on our own for Christmas this year. That was fine because I had to work Christmas Eve until 3pm and then again on the day after Christmas (a Monday). So to me it was like not even having Christmas.

Omar and I decided that we would go to Savannah for Christmas Eve. He was able to easily book a hotel with his cheap rate and we stayed at the Double Tree this time. We got there at about 6 pm. Omar made reservations at the Pink House for dinner and then for lunch on Christmas Day he had reservations at the Chart House. He originally wanted to eat at the Pirate's House but it was going to be closed. 

We walked around and went in the 3-4 stores that were still open on Christmas Day. We then walked over to the Pirate's House area and learned that they are open for Christmas Eve and so we called and changed our Pink House reservation to Christmas and ate there for dinner. We were both starving and actually ended up being done with dinner by the time our original reservations were at the Pink House. 

I don't think we will eat at the Pirate's House again. I got the pecan encrusted Tilapia and it was honestly so flavorless I couldn't eat it! I sent it back and just got a wedge salad instead. Their shrimp and grits was super duper delicious. We took one with us to go it was so good. 






On the walk back Omar had to go to the bathroom really bad and this homeless guy stopped us for money. We honestly had no money. He then asked for my food! I didn't want to give up my food because I knew I would get hungry since my salad was small and everything was closing. We kept walking but we both felt bad. Once we got back to the hotel, Omar later went back and gave him some money. He was really grateful. I think he honestly was homeless.

The next day we just walked around and took pictures. It was picture taking paradise because there was really no one around like their normally is so it was easy to get shots we wouldn't be able to in the past.



Our reservation was for 12:30 pm for Christmas lunch. We sat in the basement. The house was INCREDIBLE and just huge. We were down where the bar was but everything was lit by candles and a fireplace. The food was wonderful. I would for sure go back as the menu changes. 




When we left it was raining and we decided to just go home. We got home about 4 pm and opened the gifts that Eddie and Megan (our in-laws) got for us. We then just relaxed until work the next day. It was great to just get away for a little while and to feel like it wasn't just a normal Sunday off.




No comments: