Sunday, January 15, 2012

Grand Turk

This port was surprising to me. It is a newer port for cruise ships and I loved it!!! You pull into port and you really feel like you are in the Caribbean. Drop Dead Gorgeous Waters!




We booked again through the ship because there was nothing that I could see online for booking through other companies. I am so glad I did too because after talking with the locals they told me that all their scuba and snorkeling books up months in advance.

















We did the ultimate snorkeling adventure which cost $55.95/pp.

This excursion will show you why Grand Turk is one of the world’s top dive destinations. 
  • Join us for an unforgettable snorkel experience.  
  • Your adventure begins with a short walk from the cruise terminal to the boat where experienced adventure guides will provide your snorkel equipment along with a safety briefing and instructions on the use of your gear.  
  • Then, you are off to your first destination, the pristine Horseshoe Reef.  See a myriad of colorful fish as you snorkel in 6-12 feet of water.  
  • Your knowledgeable crew will guide you through the reef system identifying the various tropical fish and coral formations.  
  • Fish identification cards will be provided to help you learn the various species of fish while you are snorkeling.  
  • After experiencing the shallow reefs, you will reboard the boat for a short ride to your second stop off of Round Cay.  
  • Here, you’ll see why Grand Turk is one of the world’s top dive destinations.  
  • Enjoy the turquoise waters and marvel at the amazing coral and marine life that inhabit this reef, before reboarding your boat for the relaxing ride back to the cruise terminal.

This was seriously some of the best snorkeling I have ever done. I was in water heaven. I swam way all around all of the reefs venturing by myself and the guides would just make comments to Omar like, "She really likes water doesn't she?" Thank goodness I have an understanding husband.






Do you see the peacock fish camouflaged on the bottom there? Very cool.
Omar gave a kind donation to the beautiful seas while on our boat trip. He blames me, I didn't even realize he brought them but his 2 week old glasses that we finally got for him are somewhere in the Grand Turk waters. He hasn't had a pair of glasses make it a whole 2 months I think since we have gotten married, next time it will just be lasik surgery for him I think.








Barracuda!
After the excursion we walked around the beach to this local place and ordered something to eat. I got the conch salad and some conch fritters and it was very average. It was interesting talking to a lady inside one of the stores selling some really beautiful jewelry. She was telling me how most people on the island actually work for the government of the Turkos Islands and how tourism really isn't that big for the people there yet. She told me that it is VERY expensive to live there - milk costs $12/gallon, loaf of bread is $8.

After eating Omar was tired and went back to the ship while I went over to Margaritaville where there is a HUGE pool with a swim up bar and FloRider which is like "Wipeout" from Water Mania where I grew up (basically a constant wave to boogy board on). If you do want to do FloRider you can do it by booking it on your own when you are at Margaritaville and it is like $40 for an hour and a half where on the ship it costs about that much for an hour. I hung out at the pool and then went back to the ship.

Grand Turk Total = $134 ($112 snorkeling; $2 ornament; $26 food)





No comments: