Sunday, January 15, 2012

San Juan, Puerto Rico




This was the port I was most excited about because I was going to see my mission mom, Mari Carmen Rivera Cotti (my trainer), who lives in Puerto Rico and she was going to show me her "isla encantata" (enchanted island). I was the first person from the mission to come visit her and I have been wanting to see Puerto Rico. I loved it!

We got in at 7 AM to that port and left at 2:30 pm. Hermana Rivera and her husband were able to stay the night in San Juan to wait for us. She lives 3 hours away from San Juan in the mountains. They took us to El Yunque which is the Rainforest. It was about a 30-45 minute drive away from Old San Juan.






We climbed up a viewing tower to see a spectacular view.




We then did a 40 minute hike up and down throughout the rainforest to get to a beautiful waterfall and pool.




Omar and I went swimming and it was FREEZING! But it was beautiful. We spoke to some people that were at the falls from a different cruise ship. I asked how much they paid and they said it was $100/pp!!! They paid over $500 for their family. I was shocked. We paid nothing as admission is free.








Talking to their tour guide I guess they came to the waterfall the opposite way by driving up much further in the rainforest and taking tons of stairs down. It is a much easier hike than the one we did. They then go back the way we came because it is easier and quicker on the return. There is a museum you can go to that we chose not to visit that costs a few bucks and you can do an hour tour for $5.

We were hungry after the rainforest and so we found a place on the side of the road and got a bunch of puerto rican food! So yummy. Following eating we went to Old San Juan took pictures at the fort and all around the fort.




I found where I want to be buried - talk about beautiful!
I was going to go into the tower - but it reeked of urine! So sad.





We looked at the old homes and ate some yummy ice creams. We had a great time and already want to go back and spend days in PR so we can go see the other beautiful areas.


The bricks were all such a beautiful, pearly blue hue







Puerto Rico total = $68 (Food $51; ornament $9; Ice Cream $8) - our hosts wouldn't let us pay for gas so we bought lunch and ice cream

No comments: