Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sunday: Flushing & Winchester

The next morning, Sunday, we were picked up by Hermana Osorio, who Omar considers part of his family. Hermana Osorio and her husband have 5 girls whom call Omar their brother. The whole family came to our wedding in Orlando, that was the only time that I met them. We were to spend the rest of our trip with them. I was almost looking forward to some relaxing. I was dead tired. We went and visited another member from Omar's mission and stayed talking for a while. Then like Sabbath breakers we went and ate at this Korean restaraunt in Omar's favorite area that he served in. We were obviously were not the only people breaking the Sabbath, becuase the place was PACKED and the place was HUGE with Koreans everywhere. One party that they sat before us had over 30 people in it. That was an average group size. This place was amazing and very ingenious with how they served. It was buffet like, but you pay for everything you choose. It was really interesting becuase they would have people with carts come to your table to show you what they had and then you would tell them what you wanted. They had the foot of every animal and those you have not heard of. It was incredible. There was also a buffet line for other larger dishes and a grill area too. The food we ate was so delicious. I wish they had one of those places in Jacksonville. The weirdest thing to eat was the chicken feet - I was not so good at eating them and really there was nothing to eat I thought. I think Hispanic people are able to find things on bones that us Americans will never be able to. Hermana Osorio using chopsticks for the first time Yummy Korean food, but boy do I look exhausted! My first chicken foot Omar is pro at eating it don't the feet look weird? Omar and Hermana Osorio doing a tea toast We then went back to the Osorio house where she gave me a little tour. The kids were all excited to see Omar, who they call their brother. He really is like a member of their family. We were asked to take the kids to the mall to get them stuff for school because Hermana Osorio didn't trust her daughter to drive the Escalade. People drive like psychos in New York, I can't say that I was thrilled with Omar driving either - no less driving 7 kids in the car. The mall was very large - it was the size of a regular mall but with 4 stories too. The mall had even a sports authority, a target, and other regular stores like that too. It was crazy. The older kids ran off shopping and we were left with Tito, the youngest 10 going on 11. We took her to different stores and eventually made our way to David & Busters. We only spend $20, played games and Tito was able to get a small little stuffed animal with the proceeds of our tickets. We finally left the mall. It was insane to drive back - the tolls make everything take so long. Food was waiting for us. Everyone stayed up sharing stories - I understood a little bit of them, but man they talk so fast in Spanish. I finally could not stay up longer and made my way up to bed. I went to open the bedroom door after changing and of course what happened. The whole entire door knob on the outside fell off and hit the wood floor so loud that everyone just started laughing downstairs. I could not get out and so started knocking on the door. This happened multiple times a day for me with different doors, they (the doors) all hated me. The evil door

No comments: