Saturday, March 15, 2008

Life is "OK" (aka "Omar & Kate")

So I thought it was time to change the title of my blog since now it is for 2 people! If you can think of a better title let me know - I just like incorporating our initials (OK). Omar and I have now been married for 1 week! Crazy. We decided that we would switch off who is in charge of the Saturday activity. This week is my week. I heard about this festival down in St. Augustine called "Rhythm and Ribs" it had music and of course delicious bbq. It for sure put Texas to shame. Afterwards we walked around the shops downtown and looked at the fort. St.Augustine is America's oldest city and the fort is actually made of coquina (which is seashells). We were able to see them shoot guns and the cannon. It was exciting.


Omar in front of the Fort Omar and I at the waterfront walkway in St. Augustine a random sign in a park
At the Rhythm and blues festival
A little bit of the bbq Omar eating his bbq Omar and the pig - oink oink! Me eating the bbq

6 comments:

Brian said...

Kate,

From one native Texan to an adopted Texan, I feel inclined to warn you that you verge on heresy. There is no way BBQ purchased in Florida could ever surpass Texas tastiness. Or maybe you just didn't have the right stuff while you were there. One day we will have to remedy this.

Brian

Kate & Omar Spilsbury said...

i don't know Brian - I had my share of bbq in Texas - I was never very impressed - every good bbq - I have eaten, I have experienced in Florida. maybe you just have never experienced true bbq.

Brian said...

Sacrilege! Rudy's! The Salt Lick! Mann's! All near and dear to Austin, and all chock full of mouth-watering meaty goodness. But don't just take my word for it. Check out this documentary:

http://www.bbqfilm.com/

See if you're local library can do an interlibrary loan. It's awesome. It's like the roadmap of Texas BBQ. I haven't been to a lot of the places, but I will. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But some day.

Brian said...

One other thing: You'll notice from the picture of Omar standing by the BBQ stand that the meat you are eating is only Floridian by import. Check the banner over your hubby's head. This place seems to a Carolinian joint. From the "anburg, SC", I'm guessing Spartanburg.

Brian said...

Speaking of which, if you and Omar ever get a wild hair to come to the Carolinas, ya saben que tienen dónde.

Kate & Omar Spilsbury said...

brian as another side note - i have eaten at rudy's and didn't really like it - everyone, everywhere huffed and puffed Rudy's and I was never impressed. the bbq sauce really isn't even good.