Sunday, March 16, 2008

Target: Home of the EVIL crock pot and registry

NEVER EvEr eVeR do a gift registry from Target. Omar and I have learned that the hard way. I have been an avid Target lover and shopper for years - buying all my friends wedding gifts and things from there. Never again! I actually don't ever want to shop at Target again! Well Omar and I got 4 crockpots - 2 of which were the exact same (from my registry). I went to try to return them to Target along with a few other duplicate items and they would not take them back. They said that I had to have a gift receipt. I explained that I was not given one but that I could show that it was on my gift registry and proceeded to show them my printed out version from home. They didn't care. They would only allow 2 returns per year without a receipt and the item had to be under 20 dollars - meaning they wouldn't take anything back - not even for store credit (which was all I wanted). I talked to the manager and she suggested I call the gift givers up and ask for the gift receipt or their original receipt. I asked her if she would actually do that. She didn't respond. So basically we were stuck with too many crock pots.
Until...my husband had an ingenious idea.
What if we were to go and buy the same crock pot in cash and then return it (thus getting our cash back) - we would still have the receipt including the gift receipt and then could return the other crock pot. Well it couldn't hurt to try - so we did. It worked we were able to even get cash back for the other crock pot. Who did I marry that would actually come up with a scheme like that? Target doesn't deserve our business. We have already told a handful of other friends that are getting married not to register there.

1 comment:

Kevin and Jess said...

Congrats Kate! I hate to admit that when I got married in August...I figured out how awful Target was. We registered through them and had the same problems. (I have 3 crock pots at my house right not and 2 sets of the same dishes). Sorry...I should have told you. : ) If ya'll are ever in the Provo/Springville area give me a call!
~ Jessica (Whitesell) Bird
ZPR 2005