Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BYU vs FSU Game

Our plans were originally to attend one of our friend's baptisms in Orlando, but it fell through because the date and time got changed so we would not be able to make it due to work schedules. Since I had a Saturday off it was a matter of what to do. I heard that BYU would be playing FSU and thought that would be fun. We haven't been to a college football game together as a couple before and I haven't been to a BYU game since I was still in college.

My brother is a one of the FSU boosters for the Orlando Chapter so he helped us arrange tickets. Of course we sat on the FSU side, but I was super grateful because my poor comrades over on the other end of the stadium were baking in the sun, while I enjoyed the shade.

My brother invited us to tailgate with him. It was fun meeting some of his friends that I hadn't before and everyone was nice. I was all decked out in my BYU shirt and visor and prayed that I wouldn't get shot. I really wasn't concerned.


After tailgating Michael got us into a special air conditioned room where we cooled down and enjoyed a huge buffet. It was really nice of him. None of the pictures came out well due to the lighting. I was grateful to cool down as it was a really hot day.

About 20 minutes before the game started we found our seats. We were in the middle of the FSU section, but lucked out by having 2 avid BYU fans behind us so I didn't feel so left out. As you can see, Omar became a trader and bought a FSU hat so he could be part of the team he felt would "win".

my mom told me that we had to be sure to see the FSU mascot, in traditional Seminole Indian attire



Way on the hot side of the stadium was the BYU section. This is prior to kick off so it was not as full at that time. BYU fans were still really loud for what a small area they were.
After the first quarter we went to get water. I was already so hot that I was happy to go and get something refreshing. We bought a bottle of water and then this icee that everyone was getting that looked delicious. I was first as we walked up the stand to our seats. I didn't realize we were so close to the exit and by the time I looked I had passed our seats and Omar and everyone else sitting near us called me back down. As I turned my ankle gave out and I fell. I grabbed onto this random guy and if I hadn't I would have face planted it. I knew that my knees hit the ground and it hurt bad, but being the proud, strong girl that I was I went and sat down before even looking to see the damage.

All I saw was blood running all down my legs and as I pulled my shorts up I saw that they were really messed up. Omar and I walked down again and found a cop to ask where first aid was. He had us walking all over the place trying to get a first aid person. Finally, he just told us to walk down all the ramps to a first aid area as all the first aid people were extracting fainting bodies from the heat. After asking many people for directions and continuing to drip blood we found first aid.

This random guy was the one who was going to bandage me up. Here it is after I had wiped it up some. While he was putting gloves on and looking terrified a lady asked me questions and had me sign things that they are not responsible if something happens to me. The guy was just going to put a medium sized band-aid on me. I asked don't you have something to wash it with as there is cement and dirt in the wound. This other lady had to show him where there was some wash and he only washed it a little and then stuck a band aid on me. It started to bleed through as there had been no pressure applied. The  guy was so incompetent. He then decided to put another swab on top of the bandaid and that bled through so he put another swab and put tape. Of course the way he taped it, it wouldn't stay. He then gave me a band-aid and was going to send me on my way. I was like what about my other leg, he was like "Oh, well it wasn't bleeding as much so I figured it was fine!" Are you kidding me! Tip to all of you, if you go to that stadium and get injured it would be better to just ask them for the stuff and take care of your wound yourself.

The guy kept saying that he has been out of practice for about 2 months and so was trying to remember what to do. Are you kidding, I was a lifeguard in 2000 and 2001 and I still can remember how to apply first aid! I think I got the left over guy, becuase while I sat there during the 2nd quarter there were about 10 bodies of people that had completely passed out due to the heat come through on stretchers with oxygen masks. At least it makes for a good story.

Omar of course has to mention that wherever we go I either get hurt or sick.
Good news...you can see my icee here...don't worry I was good enough to save the icee when I fell, only a few drops hit a kid nearby.


No comments: