Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Miami Trip: Day 1 Calle Ocho

We drove from Orlando to Miami to celebrate my birthday. It took about 3 hours. We were both so hungry and decided we wanted to eat first. We put in the address for La Moon which is a Dominican restaurant that was featured in Man Vs. Food television show. Little did we know that we put the wrong side of Calle 8 to go to. We ended up getting lost and realized we were not far from the hotel. So we checked in at the hotel first and then decided what to do from there.

We stayed at the Downtown Hilton. It was really a nice hotel. I guess it used to be part of a mall, so the entrance is really funky. This was the view from our room.

We got an amazing rate on the hotel since Omar's dad works for Hilton. I think we ended up paying about as much a night as we did for parking. Parking was $28/day! Unbelievable. We decided to get ready for the beach. We ate food at Calle 8 for lunch and then went over to South Beach for the rest of the day.
La Moon - where we ate lunch


This is the food I ended up eating. It was an arepa with like 3 different kinds of meat in it with cheese. It was good

This is the Supermoon Perro that was part of Man Vs Food Challenge. It is basically a hotdog with all this crazy stuff on it.

 I could only handle one bite - this is considered street food in DR (Dominican Republic) but it was quite disgusting for me. There were like 5 different sauces and mayo was the base...vomit! I just wanted to try it for the sense of adventure

Yes that is a quail egg on top. You can see Omar's food - it had one of the largest pieces of chicharrones I have ever seen

We walked around Calle 8 area - I saw this building and just thought the trees were so cool

No comments: